Written by Melissa Kimbell
For some, the holiday party season is an exciting and much anticipated time of year. The time for extreme socializing; shopping, going out to parties, meeting up after work, dinners out, late nights and far too much red wine. For others, the idea of all the extra hoopla, small talk, long days and steady stream of unfamiliar faces can be unbearable. Here are a few tips to help you navigate your next engagement with more class than sass.
- Channel Your Inner Marilyn. Have a glass of champagne, smile and laugh at other peoples jokes. Studies have shown that the simple act of smiling, even just making the face, can significantly improve you mood and induce actual feelings of happiness. If you look and feel happy, you will attract happy people. Sounds good to me!
- Listen More Than You Talk. Anxiety can come from anticipating moments of awkward silences and petty small talk. It may come as a surprise that you don’t have to think up an elevator speech on the way to your next party. People LOVE to talk about themselves. Let them. Look them in the eye, acknowledge that you are listening with a nod or two, and jump into the conversation when it feels natural.
- Stand Up Straight. According to Oprah, you can slim down while standing still. Good posture not only makes you look confident, but it can also make you look up to 10 pounds thinner! So, stick out your booty, open your chest and move your ribs forward.
- Wear A Statement Piece. Choose something you love that makes you feel special. A beautiful dress or an eye-catching piece of jewelry can be a great conversation starter. This also works in reverse. Paying someone a compliment on their statement piece is a great way to break the ice. Just make sure it’s a real compliment.
- Work On Your Outer Glow. Nothing radiates health and confidence like glowing skin. Spending extra time on your skin during the hectic holidays is a great way to nurture your feminine spirit and relax. Enhance both your physical and spiritual wellbeing by choosing products that nourish your skin and apply them with intention.
- Go Home. Timing is everything, don’t get sloppy at the end.